I enjoyed reading Linda Christensen's piece this week. Her opening paragraph really grabbed my attention and instantly I was entranced. "I was nourished on the milk of American culture." How can you not laugh out loud at that? I agree with what she was saying, and how she conducted her Contemporary Literature class. She brings up the point that society teaches children from an early age "how to be," what is deemed exceptable. Christensen speaks of society as a "secret education," the everyday things that kids see that have an effect on their frame of mind. Children are exposed to movies and books that show the "domination of one sex, one race, one class, or one country over a weaker counterpart." If you think about it, and from her examples this is absolutely true. Children grow up watching movies designed especially for them, but within these videos are hidden messages of sexism, racism, etc. At an early age we see these things from a certain point of view, and certain stereotypes are instilled in us. We are also taught certain things by watching the TV. For example, murder shows, and things of a violent nature show kids that it may be 'cool' or 'okay' to do that. I was watching TV the other day with my grandparents and my grandfather was watching a show on murder, like a CSI or something like that, and my grandmother commented that children will see this and get ideas from it. And it is so true, children who see something like that who's brains aren't developed will build off of that and think its okay because he/she saw it on the TV.
I absolutely hate how women are portrayed in movies, TV, etc. Christensen touches on this in her article and it definitely hits the spot in me that is frustrated with women's portrayal in the media. My women's studies class last semester spoke a lot about this. In every movie, TV show, anything, the main female character is skinny with blonde hair and undoubtably sexy. She's selling sex. Attractiveness sells. And this is true in children's media as well. Christensen says, "When women do appear, they look like Jessica Rabbit or Playboy centerfolds-even in many of the new and "improved" children's movies." When children see this they unconsciously think that this is how they are supposed to look. Last semester in my women's studies class I learned that in the 1970's a new "sleepover Barbie" was released. It is appalling what came with this staple of American culture. A scale came that was set to 105 pounds, and a booklet about how to lose weight. It said, "don't eat." Honestly, I have no words because it is ridiculous.
There are a lot of things that could be said in regards to this article. I think that Christensen did a great job of articulating the 'problems' of American society. Her class probably walked away with a greater understanding of issues and ideals that lie within our large culture because of the project they were asked to do. I would love to read more of her pieces.
I absolutely hate how women are portrayed in movies, TV, etc. Christensen touches on this in her article and it definitely hits the spot in me that is frustrated with women's portrayal in the media. My women's studies class last semester spoke a lot about this. In every movie, TV show, anything, the main female character is skinny with blonde hair and undoubtably sexy. She's selling sex. Attractiveness sells. And this is true in children's media as well. Christensen says, "When women do appear, they look like Jessica Rabbit or Playboy centerfolds-even in many of the new and "improved" children's movies." When children see this they unconsciously think that this is how they are supposed to look. Last semester in my women's studies class I learned that in the 1970's a new "sleepover Barbie" was released. It is appalling what came with this staple of American culture. A scale came that was set to 105 pounds, and a booklet about how to lose weight. It said, "don't eat." Honestly, I have no words because it is ridiculous.
There are a lot of things that could be said in regards to this article. I think that Christensen did a great job of articulating the 'problems' of American society. Her class probably walked away with a greater understanding of issues and ideals that lie within our large culture because of the project they were asked to do. I would love to read more of her pieces.

1 comments:
Christensen is speaking on campus the first week of march! I will post a link to the info on my blog as soon as I get it! ANd her book called Reading, Writing, Rising Up is wonderful.
Nice connections to WMST 200, too!
LB :)
Post a Comment