CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 25, 2008

thoughts on the "hip hop" class today

Hey guys...I left class today after seeing that movie like really angry inside for some reason. I think its just taking this class and the lower level women's studies class that has opened my eyes so much. I hated how the men were treating the woman in that movie. Honestly, I dont know how it was possible, how they were raised thinking thats okay to do. I just felt a lot of anger towards the hip hop nation; what it has instilled in mainstream america. I feel like my respect for it went down just because of the issues that were spoken about in the film. I also feel sort of angry towards my friends, specifically my female friends for some reason, that listen to it. Its so degrading, especially the music videos. I feel like when I hear it on the radio Im going to switch the station right away now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah lets talk more about this. I'll post a bit more about hip hop my blog soon.

Lesley said...

Hey

Did tricia rose compell you at all to think about the emancipatory potential of hip hop? issues of voice? pleasure AND critique? I am curious to talk more with you about this. ANd I love the new background!! :)

LB

Sarah said...

Hey guys, thanks for writing on my blog! tricia rose did compell me, i wish i got to go see her on friday night. i dont know enough about the topic to have a clear argument about it. i know that with everything there is two sides. but from the video watching the men just go after the woman like that angered me.

Alice S said...

Trcicia Rose did talk about how black women are displayed poorly in videos on Friday night. She gave a really good speach.

Sarah said...

aww man i wish i got to go see it!