Before reading for this weeks class on Kid Nation, I had only heard of it once, but couldn't remember what it was about. I had never seen any episodes on TV, but after reading the articles posted on Dr. Bogads blog, I am intrigued to watch this show. The articles posted all had different voices to them I feel. Some were negative, and some were positive. I dont really know how to form an opinion based off of these articles and can't wait for class tomorrow to watch an episode.
There was one specific quote in Megan Daum's article that I loved. It was in reference to the parents of the children who went on the show.
"A few decades ago, these same folks might have been pushing their kids to win a science fair. But now that the culture of celebrity worship spans several generations, and because it's a biological imperative for parents to want for their children what they couldn't attain themselves, it makes perfect sense that some may want to see their kids on reality shows more than want them becoming doctors."
Holy, talk about a burn. I loved the realness of this quote. It was just like, wow, take a frying pan and smack these parents/this culture in the face. I loved it. I can't even describe to you how much this quote made me laugh. Its so true. Maybe not for us, but I definitely see it in younger kids and their parents. I know that my parents are not like this at all, and yours probably are not either, but parents of young children that I have come across are like this. At least the ones on TV.
Theres a new show on VH1, im not sure what it is called. But Danny whateverhislastname from the Patridge Family is on it and children and their mothers (specifically) go on this show and all live together in a house, and the children compete to see who is the best child actor/actress. It is absurd, and the quote mentioned above just reminds me of it. I'm going to find a link for it right now. Ah! It's called, I Know My Kids a Star, and its on vh1. Everyone has to watch it, it is absurd. There is not another word for it.
Anyway, back to Kid Nation. I like the whole concept of the children starting their own town; I think that children have a lot to offer, but it goes unnoticed because of cultural and societal stigmas. Children sit inside, eating twinkies and watching mtv. That is a huge stereotype as well, but with articles and everything that comes out about children these days, it is hard to say their brains are being exercised and developed the way they should. Kid Nation sounds like an interesting show, but also comes with a lot of negativity, as does a lot of everything.
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Kid Nation-talking points for 4/7
Posted by Sarah at 1:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
So...? What do you think of the show now that you have seen an episode? Nice cnnection to the Star Kid show. :)
Post a Comment